Prime Contractor: Jacob Construction & Design, Inc.
Contract Number: HSCG88-15-JPQQ041 | HSCG88-14-A-BOA029
Contract Value: $128,500.00
Contract Award Date: 03/24/2015
Final Completion Date: 03/11/2016
Agency: USCG Civil Engineering Unit Oakland, Oakland CA
Jacob Construction & Design was responsible for leveling a housing unit by method of grout injections at USCG Base Alameda. Description For this project, Jacob Construction & Design was responsible for leveling a housing unit using a specialized compacted grout lifting process by establishing sufficient grout injection points and lifting the slab edge approximately 6 inches to a level position. Prior to drilling any holes into the foundation, a comprehensive X-ray of the unit’s post-tension slab foundation was performed. The lift was feathered from the lowest point to the highest point via method of the ascending stage method. Throughout the lifting process, all damages to the structure/utilities were documented. Prior to closing out the project, JCD made every reasonable effort to repair damages and restore the housing unit to the quality of the original construction. Some challenges to the project:
- JCD discovered that the supplied drawing measurements were incorrect, and that the foundation needed to be lifted 12.5 inches instead of 6.
- JCD’s Superintendent noticed that the lift was having a slight impact on the adjacent housing structure. Immediately, JCD’s management team and subcontracting supervisor combined heads to draft a new plan to submit to the Coast Guard.
In the process of devising a workable plan, JCD’s in-house design team drafted new drawings and engineers made calculations on volume of new material needed. Given that the injections were starting to lift the foundation of the adjacent structure, other injection material and placements for injections were considered/proposed to the government. JCD was able to maintain a working relationship with the Coast Guard by method of keeping them informed and providing them with feasible options/solutions for remedying these unexpected issues. On account of efforts in partnering with the government, Jacob Construction & Design, Inc. was able to successfully close out this project.
- Quality Control management
- Safety management
- Utility Investigation/Slab X-ray
- Drilling/Grout Injections
- Post Utility/Structural Repairs