Prime Contractor: Jacob Construction & Design, Inc.
Contract Number: W912P7-16-C-0013
Contract Value: $787,945.00
Contract Award Date: 09/30/2016
Contract Final Completion Date: 05/18/2018
Agency: Department of the Army, Corps of Engineers, San Francisco, CA
Jacob Construction & Design, Inc. was responsible for stabilizing the riparian zones of reach 10B and Reach 12 from potential erosion and flood damage.
For this project, Jacob Construction & Design teamed up with a leading habitat restoration firm out of Santa Cruz, CA to fortify Reach 10B and Reach 12 with vegetation that would in turn work to mitigate erosion especially during flood seasons. To ensure new plants were acclimated to the environment, JCD’s team of revegetation specialists, ecologists, botanists, arborists, and ornithologists worked with USACE biologists to design and set in motion an action plan for effective riparian mitigation via seed collection, propagation, planting, and maintenance. As Santa Clara Valley Water District (SCVWD) manages Reach 10B and Reach 12 channel segments, JCD had to align work efforts with their requirements. By Spring of 2018, JCD’s team were able to successfully get over 4,000 new plants in the ground at both reach locations before the onslaught of rain. To ensure the plants thrive, JCD utilized the maintenance period to safeguard these specimens from invasive plant life, the spread of homeless encampments in the area, dry spells in the weather, and rodent intrusion.
Description of Work
- Collection of seeds for propagation
- Propagation and growth of plants in deepot, treepot, and 1-gallon containers
- Collection of large seeds (acorns and buckeye seeds) for planting onsite
- Preparation of the planting site, including excavation and backfill of planting trenches and integration of cobble
- Delivery of container plants to the planting site
- Basin reconstruction
- Performance of multiple nesting bird surveys
- Irrigation repairs
- Planting the plants and seeds, including protective measures and short-term watering
- Planting of cuttings, including short-term maintenance
- Permitting through various jurisdictions