Prime Contractor: Jacob Construction & Design, Inc.
Contract Number: W91238‐14‐P‐0084
Contract Value: $1,395,795.00
Contract Award Date: 08/20/2014
Contract Final Completion Date: 09/10/2016
Agency: Department of the Army, Corps of Engineers
JCD replaced irrigated lawns with drought-resistant plant species at the Department of Defense Center and the Chapel at Ord Military Community at Presidio of Monterey
In conjunction with the Army’s Water Conservation Campaign Plan, Jacob Construction & Design, Inc. was awarded the task of showcasing for the government innovative solutions for Xeriscaping and Passive Irrigation Systems. With the utilization of cutting-edge technology and the application of unconventional techniques, the end goal was to reduce potable water usage for irrigation by 2% at the Army’s installations throughout the Presidio of Monterey. JCD set out to replace irrigated lawns with numerous drought-resistant plant species (Xeriscaping) at three sites; the Department of Defense (DoD) Center and the Chapel at Ord Military Community (OMC) at Presidio of Monterey (POM). This project also required JCD to design and install low-flow irrigation systems for all Xeriscaping areas and a passive irrigation system for turf at the DoD Center. To help the government optimize water conservation at its Monterey facilities, JCD insured that the new passive irrigation system caught, stored, and filtered rainwater to be used to irrigate the turf. If successful, this project was to provide the blueprint for an aggressive expansion of Xeriscaping and Passive Irrigation Systems for government installations across the nation.
Through the life of the project, JCD fulfilled all requirements for Quality Control, Safety, and Supervision. Given that the project was performed in multiple locations with occupied facilities on site, signage, traffic control, and constant communication with the tenants/base personnel were critical. All concrete enclosures/ forms as well as electrical, demolition, and meter install were performed by JCD’s in-house personnel.
Given this project was design-build, water conservation and waste-water management were the key priorities through the conceptual stage. Through the design process, JCD’s design and construction team worked closely together with USACE and respective environmental authorities to propose an inexpensive infrastructure that would serve multiple purposes of drainage, irrigation, pollutant management and treatment. In the end, JCD proposed, designed plans for, and constructed a water management system utilizing the EPIC technology that utilized a sand-based root zone capillary physics for vertical water distribution and gravity for horizontal and drainage distribution. The EPIC System is expected to achieve 100% efficiency in irrigation, better turf quality and affordable minimal maintenance construction. Direct Comparative studies demonstrated 58% less water needs as compared to sprinklers, and overnight the 2/3-water allocation in outdoor use for desert climates could be reduced significantly, without a change in landscape area, plant species or cultural habits.
Work performed inhouse via JCD personnel
- Quality Control management
- Safety management
- Traffic control program and management
- Environmental management including dust mitigation and erosion control
- Cleared and grubbed existing vegetation and root structure in multiple locations
- Graded and compacted to provide subgrade for Epic Passive Irrigation System
- Furnished and installed mow curbs at perimeter of passive Irrigation System and new sidewalks
- Furnished and installed electrical conduit from gate electrical supply to irrigation controller locations
- Relocated existing water meters with all materials and labor necessary
- Disconnected irrigation system domestic water supply and terminated in valve box with gate valves on each size
- Connected irrigation system to existing water main.
- Furnished and installed all sleeves, connections, backfill, AC and concrete patch required for site utility work
- Furnished and install sleeves for irrigation system as needed between the two landscape areas
- Performed all saw cutting/demolition of Concrete/Asphalt paving as required for the installation of site utilities and concrete
- Provided subgrade for all concrete, asphalt, base rock sections/structures
- Performed maintenance and analysis for additional year beyond completion
Work performed via subcontractor personnel
- Application of temporary erosion control/BMPs as proposed in our SWPPP
- Furnished and installed Geocoir erosion control fabric.
- Designed, furnished and installed low flow irrigation complete with backflow preventer, controller, PVC piping, drip system, sprinkler heads and all additional items required for a complete and functioning system at multiple locations
- Conducted soils testing
- Furnished and installed plants, biodegradable weed control, deer browse protection, and Douglas fir bark
- Furnished cobble stone and large boulders